40 Days of Kindness
The Easter season is upon us! This year, instead of giving something up 40 days prior to Easter celebration, we encourage you to GIVE something...kindness.
Ephesians 4:32 "Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you."
Over the next 40 days, we will seek to bless those around us. We are reminded that because of the work that Christ has done for us; we have a reason to live joyfully. Kindness has a way of turning us towards Christ and away from self-centeredness.
Romans 2:4 "Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can’t you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?"
We hope that you will join us on this journey and that these ideas will spark more ideas. Please share your stories of kindness with us in the comments section below!
40 Ways to Display Kindness
"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud"- 1 Corinthians 13:4
1. Tweet or Facebook message a genuine compliment to three people right now.
2. Bring doughnuts (or a healthy treat, like cut-up fruit) to work.
3. While you’re out, compliment a parent on how well-behaved their child is.
4. Open a door for someone
5. Share meal with a friend or neighbor
6. Cook a meal or do a load of laundry for a friend who just had a baby or is going through a difficult time.
7. If you walk by a car with an expired parking meter, put a quarter in it
8. Visit a senior or older neighbor or frequent a nursing home
9. Hang out with the person who just moved to town.
10. Offer a homeless person food from a restaurant.
11. Each time you get a new piece of clothing, donate an old one.
12. Don’t interrupt when someone else is speaking.
13. Email or write an old teacher who made a difference in your life.
14. Compliment someone to their boss.
15. Leave a nice server the biggest tip you can afford.
16. Smile at someone on the street, just because.
17. Let someone into your lane. They’re probably in a rush just like you.
18. Forgive someone, and never bring up the issue again.
19. Talk to the shy person who’s sitting by themselves.
20. Leave your New York Times or Us Weekly behind for someone else to read at the coffeeshop, the doctor’s office, or on a plane.
21. Give the gift of time and slow down to ask someone about their day.
22. Help a mother with her baby stroller.
23. Become a mentor
24. Let the person behind you at the supermarket checkout with one or two items go ahead of you.
25. Write someone a letter. Like a real letter, on paper. And mail it!
26. Give away stuff for free on Craigslist.
27. Invite over a friend for a meal or coffee just because
28. Give someone a book you think they’d like.
29. Be the person who puts a tip in the tip jar at the coffeeshop. (Fewer people tip than you’d think!)
30. Bring in fun office supplies to liven up the workday for everyone.
31. When you go somewhere to get or do something, ask the people around you if you can pick up anything they need.
32. Give someone a hug.
33. If you spill creamer or sugar on the counter at Starbucks, wipe it up.
34. Call your grandparents. Call them!
35. Do the dishes or another chore for your spouse, sibling, or parents.
36. Offer to give someone a ride to their next appointment, or to church!
37. Write something nice on that person’s updates who posts on Facebook constantly. They’re probably lonely.
38. Sincerely compliment your boss, who probably doesn’t often get feedback from her reports.
39. Pray for someone everyday for a week
40. Buy the person behind you in the drive thru a coffee or meal.
We would love to hear your stories of kindness, please encourage others by posting!